Sign in to follow this  
Joey

Joey's application

Posted (edited)

Varrock Username:

Will have two. "Joey" and "Iron Joey" as I plan to give this Iron-Man mode a go.

Timezone:

GMT +0 (UK)

Where are you from?

England

How long have you been part of the Varrock Community?

3 days before first release of the server.

How many hours do you spend online daily?

6-8 hours. Basically from when I finish work but can be active on forums and Discord while I am working.

Are you active in-game, discord, and our forums?

All three yes. (Currently minus the Server)

Why would you like to be part of the Varrock Staff Team?

I aim to show the upmost respect to absolutely everyone until they give me and people around me reasons to not show them my respect. I have been given lots of good feedback in old servers that I had owned or moderated with how good I am at working to pleasing and helping everyone that needs it. I have had a lot of experience in helping run and be a staff member in a few Runescape servers and as well as that a few other game servers too. Everyone that has had a chance to chat to me will know exactly how approachable I am and how fair I am. I get great happiness when I help someone so you'll know for a fact I will not stop trying to help our members.

What are some of the strengths you possess?

The main strengths I posses are actually being able to form a decent sentence which is very helpful when trying to stay professional with potential server issues and conversations I may need to have with our members. I love to make sure issues are dealt with fairly and quickly with as little to no mistakes as possible. I am highly respectful if warranted and have a great sense of humour/ very hard to actually offend, personally do not think it is possible for anyone to offend me online.

What are some of your weaknesses you posses?

I do sometimes give people a second chance when their issue is not something which would have affected the community much at all. Also as stated a couple of times above, i will respect anyone until they have personally done something to me or someone close to me for them to break that. This is a bit of an issue in some cases when people around me do not believe i should show this person any of my respect. 

Please describe any experience in leadership or staff roles you currently have or had:

Funnily enough i'm not only going to post online experience and leadership like I assume most people will state they have been a moderator or owner of servers which I have but I do not think it is really worth mentioning here as it's not really easy to prove here. 

So I was in the British Army for around 2 Years which involved great dedication to showing yourself to be a true leader and friend to many people. I then left the Army as my (at the time) 3 year old son was getting diagnosed for Autism, so I had to be there for my partner and him. Since then I am now a manager of a team of 12 people in a company well known in England called SSE. This job strangely enough is very close to managing a server of people as there are issues and conflicts to deal with almost every day.

Why should we choose to promote you as opposed to someone else's application?

I believe I posses a wide range of different skills which would make me perfect to help build and speed this server into a great and well known server which it very much looks like it can be. I plan to be around for a long time and follow our growth even if I do not get this position yet.. I know i will one day soon. I have had so much experience in helping keep a group of people happy and have always been great at it. 

What are some of the recognizable ways in which you helped the community?

Honestly, I have done nothing massive to help the community. I welcome as many new people as I can to the discord and point them in the direction to where they may need to go on the forums. I've pointed out one bug which I have noticed has now been fixed in time for server release which is great too.

In a short paragraph, please briefly explain what you hope to bring to Varrock with this position and what you hope to achieve in the future:

I believe I have a vast knowledge on how to people manage from small groups of 12 people up to groups of hundreds of people. I have done this in real life work and different gaming communities. After getting to know me you will realise I am the most approachable person you will chat to and am very fair to anyone that is doing the right thing or maybe just made a stupid mistake. As I have just stated, I know the difference between making a stupid mistake which someone will have learnt from and something which is not forgivable. I can be active on forums and Discord almost all day but only get on the server when home from work so still around 6-8 hours a day. One day I will be staff of this server as I am going nowhere anytime soon. Thanks for giving me the chance to point my points across and if you believe I am not ready yet that is understandable but I know I am. 

Do you understand that if you break any rules, abuse power, fail to follow the Staff handbook, or turn out to be a horrendous Staff Member, you will be demoted and might have further actions taken against you depending on your offenses?

This goes without saying. I will read and follow this handbook as perfectly as I can.

If you would like any more information on me or my life get in-touch with me on Discord. Thank you.

Edited by Joey
  • Like 1

Good luck with your application, @Joey

13 hours ago, BenDaProdigy said:

Good luck with your application, @Joey

Thank you for the support! 

9 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Looks good dude, good luck! 

7 hours ago, aoixivv said:

Ay! this is decent as f*** good luck man +1

Appreciate the kind words. Fingers crossed! 

Updated a few bits of my application as a fair amount of time has passed.

Good luck with the app. 

i actually like the fact that you added colors  to differentiate the questions to the actual answers. Makes it easier to read for us.

C2nBqtK.gif

You always seem to make threads that are very easy to read and look nice and clean. I see you a lot in-game and wish you all the best for this Position. +1 

This is a brilliantly made application

I like the colour change on you app that seperates the questions and your answers.
Had a nice time reading this. 
Gl with you app
Best regards,
Shrimpie

I have edited the original template and added a few more questions. Please put the questions with answers as a reply to my post.

Have you ever disagreed with a staff's (ingame moderating) action? If so, what would you have done as a Server Support in that situation?:

A friend of yours comes to you complaining that he has been banned by another staff member, and wants you to find out why. Upon further investigation, you discover that you believe the ban is unjustified. How do you handle that?

If there are a few users began saying "THIS CLIENT SUCKS!" and spamming it, what would you do?

Please answer following questions in a PRIVATE MESSAGE to MANA. Your answers are safe.

Link to profile: https://forums.varrock.org/profile/1070-mana/?wr=eyJhcHAiOiJmb3J1bXMiLCJtb2R1bGUiOiJmb3J1bXMtY29tbWVudCIsImlkXzEiOjM1MCwiaWRfMiI6MTkxMX0=

Who do you think is currently the best Moderator? Why?

Who do you think is the currently the worst Moderator? Why?

Looks like a nice application. Best of luck.

1 hour ago, Mana said:

Good luck with the app. 

i actually like the fact that you added colors  to differentiate the questions to the actual answers. Makes it easier to read for us.

1 hour ago, Blessed said:

You always seem to make threads that are very easy to read and look nice and clean. I see you a lot in-game and wish you all the best for this Position. +1 

58 minutes ago, Adam said:

This is a brilliantly made application

53 minutes ago, Shrimpie said:

I like the colour change on you app that seperates the questions and your answers.
Had a nice time reading this. 
Gl with you app
Best regards,
Shrimpie

I'm glad people like my colours. :D In all seriousness I just thought i would make something that is a little easier on the eyes otherwise the whole thread will tend to blur into one and become rather tedious to read. 

Also to mention thank you all for your kind words. Tried hard to make this application as good as possible. 

Nice and well done application.
I really enjoyed the formatting!

GL with your app!

2 minutes ago, Anne said:

I have edited the original template and added a few more questions. Please put the questions with answers as a reply to my post.

Have you ever disagreed with a staff's (ingame moderating) action? If so, what would you have done as a Server Support in that situation?:

A friend of yours comes to you complaining that he has been banned by another staff member, and wants you to find out why. Upon further investigation, you discover that you believe the ban is unjustified. How do you handle that?

If there are a few users began saying "THIS CLIENT SUCKS!" and spamming it, what would you do?

Looks like a nice application. Best of luck.

Firstly, thank you for the compliment on the application. I appreciate it and will work on these new questions below. 

I believe I have disagreed with a few in game staff over the years of playing servers, from bans going out too easily or potentially no warning at all for the offending players.

When it comes to this server, there was a moderator (no longer a moderator anymore) who was toxic to other players including calling me a "retard" and just generally being negative to most of the community.  I found that all I could do in that situation was report it to another moderator or Admin to log into as soon as they could. This took quite some time due to timezone differences and people just being busy in general. 

First option -

If i was a member of the staff in this situation and I had equal powers to the moderator in question, I would have contacted him privately and had a conversation with him about the way he has been speaking to our community and how he could be affects the thoughts of new players joining the server. ( the last thing that will make new players stay is a Moderator being negative or potentially abusive to their players.) I would then report it to a higher ranking staff member, either an Admin if it seems like a serious matter or potentially another moderator if it is something that can be dealt with quickly and easily.

Second option -

If I was a member of staff ranking higher than the member that was acting this way, I would firstly mute him in the main channel where all of the new and current members of the server are to stop any new members instantly leaving and potentially pushing away any current members. Following this I would bring the offending staff member into a private chat to just find out why they're acting this way and what is getting to them this day in particular. While doing this I would be Liaising with the Admins of the server to find out what they would want to do in this situation but I do believe people normally have a reason behind things they do and am almost certain I would calm them down enough before the situation resulted in much further action. 

Firstly as this is a friend of mine I would speak to another Admin or Moderator and see if anyone else can deal with this situation so I didn't look like I was taking an unfair approach on the situation. If looking into the evidence and it was 100% unjustified and no one else was around to help in the situation. I would firstly speak to the friend in question and let him know I will get to the bottom of it. Then upon getting the evidence together and my reasons why I do not think it was justified i would speak privately to another member of staff to get an opinion on the situation. 

I would then wait for the right time and for an Admin to become free for a quick chat and have them look over the ban. I think in this situation the worst thing to do would be to remove the ban from the member before speaking to any other staff members as whoever originally banned my friend would still believe they were in the right which I would want to discuss with them first. 

I think in this situation most staff members would just muted these users. I think that could be the worst thing to do, they will just come back with another account or spread the word privately about why this client sucks.

I would teleport these members to me or speak to them and ask what the current problem is, if it is something I can deal with then and there I would do so, although if it is something that will come in a future update I would explain this to the member to hopefully stop him thinking negatively about the server. Also I would link them to the Discord channel for suggestion or the Suggestions threads on the forums to voice their suggestions and opinions there.

Thank you for reading through all of this, again if you have any other information you want from me, please feel free to contact me via forums, discord or in game. Thank you. 

Very good application in my opinion! Good luck!!

Awesome dude, been farming with him all day. I believe he would make a great support staff!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 9:43 PM, KiyruSylius said:

Awesome dude, been farming with him all day. I believe he would make a great support staff!

Appreciate the kind words! See you in game! 

Very clear and well thought app. Wish you the best of luck !

On 5/29/2019 at 11:38 PM, Montreal said:

Very clear and well thought app. Wish you the best of luck !

Hey, Thank you for the response :) Appreciate it! 

Hey @Joey,

I'm rather new on this server, but I can already tell that you're a great fit for the Varrock's staff team.
You know a lot about the game, and you are willing and able to share that knowledge in a great way.

I would however like to ask you to calm down a tiny bit with the "Pressure helping"..
You seem a bit rushed and overly excited for a promotion.

Besides that, and like I said before.. You're a great candidate.
I'll be giving you my support.

Good luck!

Discord Account: Nacyto#3577  Regular Account: Cleyax
e6c067d43f5d05c8cade1f676ed0f668.png

On 6/4/2019 at 7:29 PM, Nacyto said:

Hey @Joey,

I'm rather new on this server, but I can already tell that you're a great fit for the Varrock's staff team.
You know a lot about the game, and you are willing and able to share that knowledge in a great way.

I would however like to ask you to calm down a tiny bit with the "Pressure helping"..
You seem a bit rushed and overly excited for a promotion.

Besides that, and like I said before.. You're a great candidate.
I'll be giving you my support.

Good luck!

I wouldn't say me welcoming the new people and letting them know that I am here if they need a hand is pressure helping. But I will take your advice on board. Thank you

Accepted. GL with the trials dm me on discord.

C2nBqtK.gif